Agency Descriptions, Data Sources, Contact Info
New York State Insurance Department (NYSID)
The NYSID is responsible for supervising and regulating insurance business in New York State. The Insurance Departmentís mission is to:
- Ensure the continued sound and prudent conduct of insurersí financial operations;
- Provide fair, timely and equitable fulfillment of insurer obligations;
- Protect policyholders from financially impaired or insolvent insurers;
- Eliminate fraud, other criminal abuse and unethical conduct in the industry; and
- Foster growth of the insurance industry in the State.
New York State Department of Health (NYDOH)
The New York State DOH works to protect and promote the health of New Yorkers through prevention, science and the assurance of quality health care delivery.
Performance information found in this Guide is from two primary sources:
- The New York State Insurance Department (NYSID) provided the complaint and appeals information. Data are from calendar year 2001.
- The New York State Department of Health (DOH), through its Quality Assurance Reporting Requirements and the Consumer Assessment of Health Plans Study, provided additional information on HMO performance. Data are from calendar year 2000.
Related publication: 2001 New York State Managed Care Performance published by the New York State Department of Health. To obtain a copy, call 518-486-6074 or visit the Department of Health's Web site at www.health.state.ny.us.
If you have questions about how to use this guide, contact:
New York State Insurance Department
Consumer Services Bureau
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, New York 12257
For copies of the print Guide, you may do the following:
- Download the PDF version available from the menu on the left
- Visit www.ins.state.ny.us
- Call 518-474-4557